Thursday, July 20, 2017

Nashville Radio: George Plaster To Join WSM-AM

George Plaster
George Plaster, a pioneer in Nashville radio sports talk show history, is returning to the airwaves.

The longtime host, who spent four decades on the air, is in the process of working out the details for a new show that will be broadcast on WSM 650 AM, The Tennessean has learned.

The show will not interfere with the position as associate athletics director at Belmont, which Plaster accepted in August when he left WPRT The Game 102.5 FM.

"First of all, I love what I'm doing at Belmont, but I'm also not going to lie about the question that I get asked everywhere I go, which is, 'Do you miss radio?' " Plaster said. "And the answer is, of course I do. I mean, I did it for 39 years. You can't just toss that away and act like it never happened."

Plaster talked about his goal for the new show. "What this is doing is allowing me to dip my toe back in a little bit, to have some fun with something I love so much and at the same time continue to work at a great school in a great situation with great people," he said.

The show will debut at some point during Titans training camp, which begins July 29.

WSM program director Jonathan Shaffer will serve as a co-host on the show, which has yet to be named.

"I do want to say that this is not any part of any kind of format flip or anything else; we're totally committed to what we're doing (at WSM-AM 650)," Shaffer said. "My official stance as program director is that when you have the chance to add a legendary talent to a legendary signal you do it."

WSM 650 AM (50 Kw)
WSM is traditionally a country music station, which reaches several states and into parts of Canada.

WSM general manager Chris Kulick, who has worked closely with Plaster for many years, said more details about the show will be revealed at a news conference scheduled for 2 p.m. next Wednesday at Cafe Lula at the Ryman Auditorium.

No comments:

Post a Comment