Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Twin Cities Radio: The Heat Is On Talker Bob Davis

Bob Davis
Twin Cities radio talk-show host Bob Davis has lost advertising and is being offered an all-expenses paid trip to Newtown, Conn., to repeat what he said on the air recently: that the families who lost loved ones in the Sandy Hook school shooting can “go to hell” for having a visible role in the current national debate on gun control.

According to a story by Paul Walsh at the Star-Tribune, the criticism that continues for the conservative co-host of the “Davis and Emmer” show weekday mornings on KTCN 1130AM  centers on this perspective Davis offered April 12 amid the nation’s ongoing debate about regulating gun ownership:

“I have something I want to say to the victims of Newtown or any other shooting, I don’t care if it’s here in Minneapolis or anyplace else. Just because a bad thing happened to you doesn’t mean that you get to put a king in charge of my life. I’m sorry that you suffered a tragedy, but you know what? Deal with it, and don’t force me to lose my liberty, which is a greater tragedy than your loss.

“I’m sick and tired of seeing these victims trotted out, given rides on Air Force One, hauled into the Senate well, and everyone is … terrified of these victims. I would stand in front of them and tell them, ‘Go to hell.’

Acknowledging that his comments angered some people, Davis explained himself on his next show, three days later. He said he understands that families of the victims of the bloody elementary school shooting in December would want to “dedicate their lives to the memory of their children.”

Davis, who shares the time slot with former Republican candidate for governor Tom Emmer, further explained that “I do not hide behind flowery language. I do not pull my punches … when I’m passionate about something, it comes out on the air, it’s real and it will always be that way.”

Another four days later, Davis said to listeners that he “made an inappropriate comment” and “did not mean to criticize the families of the victims. ... I want to offer my most sincere and total apology to all the families for any further pain those words may have caused.”

Gregg Swedberg, an executive with KTCN’s parent company, Clear Channel, declined to say Monday whether Davis was disciplined for his comment. Davis has not missed a show since his comments were made.

No comments:

Post a Comment