Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Hanky Panky: Jeff Zucker Resigns From CNN



CNN boss Jeff Zucker announced his resignation Wednesday in an email sent to all staffers worldwide. He is leaving immediately.


The 56-year-old Zucker did not disclose the name of the colleague with whom he had the “consensual relationship,” but his resignation comes a few weeks after tabloids ran with reports that he has been dating Allison Gollust, CNN’s Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer, for years.

Gollust previously served as communications director for former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, who is the older brother of Chris Cuomo.

In a statement, Gollust said, “Jeff and I have been close friends and professional partners for over 20 years.”

“Recently, our relationship changed during Covid. I regret that we didn’t disclose it at the right time. I’m incredibly proud of my time at CNN and look forward to continuing the great work we do everyday,” Gollust said.

Allison Gollust
In a memo to colleagues that was obtained by The NY Times, Zucker wrote that his relationship came up during a network investigation into the conduct of Chris Cuomo, the CNN anchor who was fired in December over his involvement in the political affairs of his brother, former Governor Andrew M. Cuomo of New York.

“As part of the investigation into Chris Cuomo’s tenure at CNN, I was asked about a consensual relationship with my closest colleague, someone I have worked with for more than 20 years,” Mr. Zucker wrote. “I acknowledged the relationship evolved in recent years. I was required to disclose it when it began but I didn’t. I was wrong.”

In an e-mail to staffers on Wednesday, Jason Kilar, the CEO of CNN parent WarnerMedia said he had accepted Zucker's resignation and the search for a replacement would begin immediately.

"We will be announcing an interim leadership plan shortly," Kilar wrote. "Both of these organizations are at the top of their respective games and are well prepared for their next chapters."

Zucker was hired at CNN Worldwide in January 2013 after working his way up from a producer on “Today” to the CEO and president of NBC.

No comments:

Post a Comment