Friday, July 24, 2020

NYC Radio: Mike Francesa Is Calling It Quits Again


Longtime WFAN 660 AM / 101.9 FM talk-show host  Mike Francesa announced on Thursday that he’s departing his “Mike’s On” radio show and that Friday will mark his final broadcast.

Francesa, 66, didn’t say he was retiring but rather seeking more time with his family amid the COVID-19 outbreak.



Here is Francesa’s full statement:

“I have been discussing this with the company for a while; we had agreed, and they’ve been great about it, that I would stay until sports came back, and now sports has come back.

“Listen, I have cut back dramatically. This has been a very strange year that has made me think about different things and want to do different things. I don’t want to have a regular schedule as part of my day anymore. I want to spend more time with family, and be able to take my kids to a bunch of colleges – I have three in high school right now, and I want to be able to make those trips. I look forward to it.

“I want to spend more time with my family, and I also want to be able to go to Florida more, where we have a home. And, I have some other interests; business interests, the horses – I still have a great goal of trying to one day see  if I can find my way to the (Kentucky) Derby with a horse, it’s a goal I haven’t been able to fulfill.

“I’m not retiring, but I will tell you there won’t be any more regularly-scheduled programs on the FAN, or anywhere else, in my future; I’m not saying I won’t appear on a show as a guest, I’m not saying you won’t hear me publicly, or I won’t be involved in some projects. All that is possible. I’ve been offered a couple of times to write a book, and maybe one day I’ll give in; we’ll see. I’m not saying you’ll never hear from me again – what I’m saying is that I think it’s a very good time. The company has been great about it, and they’ve been accommodating in every way.

“I’ve said to them during this that when sports comes back, I want to step back from doing anything regularly. I want to be free to go travel, take my kids to schools, go to Florida – this crazy stuff we’ve gone through the last four or five months has opened my eyes, and that’s what I want to do.

“I can tell you that both locally with the FAN and with Entercom nationally, they have been as accommodating as they can possibly be; they’ve been very good about everything, and said whatever you want to do, the door is always open to come back and do whatever you want, but this is what I want to do.

“The FAN will always be a great part of my life. I’ve had a career that I never dreamt I could’ve had, and I’ve been incredibly fortunate in every way. I’ve had a career that’s far exceeded anything I could’ve dreamt about. I’m proud of everything we’ve been able to accomplish, and I’m ready to hand it off to the folks who come next – and the FAN is going to be as big and as successful as it’s always been in the years to come. I really believe that.”

“Mike has been the heart of WFAN for over 30 years, and though his day-in and day-out presence has come to an end, that bond happily will continue,” said WFAN honcho Chris Oliviero. “He has earned the right to make this very personal decision and will always have our respect, support and appreciation. The future of WFAN as the premiere sports platform in New York is bright, and that is in large part to the foundation that Mike has helped build.”

Francesa initially retired in 2017 after a commanding tenure as WFAN’s afternoon drive host.

For 19 years, Christopher Russo and he hosted the “Mike and the Mad Dog” program, a staple of New York City sports. Despite Russo’s 2008 exit, Francesa still drew legions of fans in a solo role until his first retirement.

Since January, he has maintained a limited role at Entercom, WFAN’s parent company, first doing a streamed hour on Radio.com and a half-hour on WFAN, and since late May working from 6 to 7 p.m. on WFAN.

Francesa, 66, will not do his Sunday morning NFL show, either.

Francesa said he will not appear on any other New York-area radio station and does not expect ever to have a daily show on radio again.

Newsday reports that by leaving now, he also could save Entercom enough money to preserve other people’s jobs. Revenue has plummeted during the COVID-19 pandemic, putting financial pressure on the company. Early in the pandemic, WFAN’s biggest on-air stars, including Francesa, agreed to take pay cuts through July.

But he said the company never asked him to step aside to save money for other payroll needs. Chris Oliviero, Entercom’s senior vice president overseeing WFAN, said finances never were part of the discussion with Francesa about his departure.

Francesa said the pandemic had an impact on him and his thought process, and played a big part in his decision to leave the station.

No comments:

Post a Comment