Thursday, April 20, 2017

Phil Simms To Join NFL On CBS Studio Show


Tony Romo might have taken his job in the booth next to Jim Nantz, but Phil Simms will remain at CBS, according to a report at nfl.com.

The network announced Wednesday that Simms will move to The NFL Today show as a studio analyst.

Simms spoke with Sports Illustrated's Richard Deitsch about the move Wednesday.

"Listen, I didn't make any comments for a lot of reasons and you want to sit there and think about it," Simms said. "Initially was my pride hurt? Absolutely. Of course it was ... So it took a little bit. Not long. I started thinking about it in a positive way and then I became excited about it.

"[CBS Sports Chairman] Sean [McManus] had talked to me over the years about maybe going into the studio. I now get to follow the league like I want to. That was probably the most frustrating thing about my job. You do one or two games a week, you can't really pay attention to the other teams like I wanted to do. When you do games, you are all-in on those games. On Inside The NFL, I get to say things about stuff that I never get to say in a broadcast."

Simms will replace Tony Gonzalez in the CBS studio, and will join James Brown, Bill Cowher, Bart Scott and Boomer Esiason.

The announcement comes two weeks after CBS signed Romo to replace Simms as the No. 1 game analyst. The ex-Dallas Cowboys quarterback usurping the lead role left Simms in temporary limbo.

No comments:

Post a Comment