Here’s what the the folks at Marketing Charts found (all data as of end of 2016):
- Netflix now has 47.9 million paying subscribers in the US;
- Netflix’s US paying subscriber count has almost doubled in the past 4 years;
- The 47.9 million paying subscribers for Netflix rivals the estimated 48.65 million for all of the top cable companies, combined;
- The number of cable company subscribers has fallen from 51.3 million 4 years ago; and
- Netflix has twice as many paying subscribers in the US than any single pay-TV provider, with Comcast (22.5 million), a cable company, and DIRECTV (21 million), a satellite company, leading among pay-TV providers; and
- Netflix has close to half as many paying subscribers as the entire pay-TV provider market.