Saturday, February 11, 2017

Milwaukee Radio: Good Karma Sells WRRD For $760K

The former Madison radio host who launched a progressive-talk station in Milwaukee is paying $760,000 for the station’s assets, according to a filing with the FCC, reports the Business Journal.

Michael Crute, co-host of “Devil’s Advocates Radio” on WRRD 1510 AM is listed as majority owner of the buyer, New WRRD LLC. The seller is Good Karma Broadcasting Inc. of Milwaukee, which is managed by Craig Karmazin.

WRRD 1510 AM (23 Kw-D, 20 Kw-CH
Good Karma bought the station in April 2004 for $2 million and ran ESPN radio, local and national programming on the frequency with the call letters WAUK-AM.

The challenge for the station at 1510 AM always has been that its FCC license allows full-power  (23Kw) broadcasting only during daylight hours. That limits the signal and audience for late afternoon, night-time and early-morning hours.

Crute holds 82 percent of the voting shares in New WRRD LLC, according to the document filed with the FCC on Tuesday. The other 18 percent is split evenly between Kathleen Lucey and Bruce Lucey.

Crute’s group is acquiring all assets used in operating the station, including the real estate and improvements for the broadcast tower site.

The station also carries national progressive talk shows including those hosted by Bill Press, Stephanie Miller and Thom Hartman.

No comments:

Post a Comment