Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Austin Radio: Talk Host Jeff Ward OUT At KLBJ-AM

After 22-years, talk show host Jeff Ward is no longer at KLBJ  590 AM.  The KLBJ website no longer lists Ward as a show host.

The move comes after Emmis Communications sold its stake in eight Austin radio stations, including KLBJ Radio, for $39.3 million in June.

The sale included six Austin radio stations and two FM translators: news-talk KLBJ 590 AM, rock station KLBJ 93.7 FM, BOB FM (KBPA 103.5 FM), Austin City Limits Radio (KGSR 93.3 FM HD2), adult alternative 101X (KROX 101.5 FM) and La Z (KLZT 107.1 FM), along with Star 93.3 (KGSR 93.3 FM) and Latino 102.7 (KLZT 107.1 FM HD2).

Jeff Ward took over the afternoon drive-time show on KLBJ in 1997. Since then, the show's ratings have consistently been one of the three highest-rated shows, according to KLBJ. The radio news host has also been voted by the Austin Chronicle as the "Best Afternoon Host" five times, according to KVUE-ABCTV.

Ward's wife posted the following on Facebook:
From Jeff: 
"I’m honored to have given every ounce of intellectual honesty I have for the past 20 years. To anyone who appreciates that, I appreciate you. 
Whether I made you laugh or scream, every day I thought about how to make that barstool the most entertaining place you could be. It’s all I ever wanted to do. That part of the job was fun. Thank you for letting me in. I admire you, and I hope you admire me. 
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go play with my kids."
The eight Austin stations are now a part of the newly formed Waterloo Media.

4 comments:

  1. While I didn't always agree with Jeff Ward, he was always honest in his beliefs and fact based. My thoughts are that the powers that be didn't like the fact that Mr. Ward wasn't an "all in" right winger. I will no longer be listening to KLBJ - which is sad because I also enjoy listening to Ed Clements. However, the owners and powers that be need to realize that not everyone who listens to KLBJ wants only "one" opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree I also didn't always agree with him, but I enjoyed listening to him. I will miss hearing his thoughts every time there is something new in the news, which is everyday. He was the only reason I listened to klbj and I will no longer listen to that station.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a shame. What is happening to Austin. Like other Austin institutions that have been overrun by our City's success. Jeff ward has now become collateral damage.I have actively listen to the show since 1997. Jeff Ward became part of my Monday through Friday routine. I feel like I've lost a close friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will miss Jeff Ward a great deal. He was not shy about expecting people calling his show to know their facts and to be able to articulate them in a logical way. He did not suffer fools lightly. when callers were not informed, he called them out. he also called folks out for making statements that were either clearly not true or had no factual basis. if Jeff gets another show in the Austin area, count me in as a listener. By the way, I did call into Jeff and Ed's show and was treated very well and politely by both Jeff and Ed. It helps to that I knew my subject matter and was able to present my comments in an informed manner.

    ReplyDelete