Friday, October 4, 2019

Martina McBride: Women Have Been Erased From Playlists


Country star Martina McBride has again called out Spotify for recommending mostly male country artists for their playlists and said she felt betrayed at the idea that women were being “erased from the playlists.”



The "Concrete Angel" singer posted on her Instagram story last month that she was listening to a song by fellow country artist Sara Evans when she decided to create a "Country Music" playlist on the platform.

The recommendations Spotify suggested she add to the playlist were all by male artists in the genre.

"I just have no words. My heart is pounding. I can't remember when I've been this mad," she posted on her story about the lack of female artists recommended.

"Is it lazy? Is it discriminatory? Is it tone deaf? Is it out of touch? @spotify what.is.it??? Please help me understand," she wrote.

"I'm frustrated for my sisters," she wrote in her Instagram story. "For all the great female artists who are making fabulous music. For all the female writers. And MOST OF ALL for every little girl out there who doesn't hear this music And doesn't know that SHE CAN GROW UP AND DO IT!!!"

“”We have an entire generation of teenage girls that have a limited example of female perspective on their radio station.

No comments:

Post a Comment