Entercom has announced the honorees of News Radio KDKA 1020 AM seventh annual “Larry Richert Honors our Hometown Heroes” in Pittsburgh.
During the event, the station will present its Lifetime Achievement Honor to Rock and Roll Hall of Fame singer, songwriter, producer and record executive William “Smokey” Robinson, who will be in attendance. For over six decades, Robinson has used his platform to benefit countless causes in the community both locally and nationally. Tree of Life Synagogue Rabbi Hazzan Jeffrey Myers will be the keynote speaker.
“Our annual ‘Hometown Heroes’ event is an opportunity for us to recognize the powerful contributions by individuals in our local community. This year, we are privileged to be able to spotlight ‘Smokey’ Robinson for the tremendous work he is doing both in Pittsburgh and beyond,” said Michael Spacciapolli, Senior Vice President and Market Manager, Entercom Pittsburgh. “We are also humbled to have Rabbi Myers speak to our heroes and guests this year following such an unfathomable tragedy.”
Each year, five individuals working on behalf of the Pittsburgh community are honored with a $1,000 donation to a charity of their choice. This year’s heroes include:
- Joyce Erdner - Founder of The DoorWay, an organization that serves those who need a second chance from dealing with abuse, addiction and neglect.
- Steven D’Achille - Following the loss of his wife to post-partum depression, D’Achille founded The Alexis Joy D’Achille Center for Perinatal Mental Health at West Penn Hospital.
- Debbie Thackrah – Founder and president of Feeding the Spirit, a special non-profit dedicated to nourishing the bodies, minds and spirits of those in need in the Greensburg community.
- German Township Police Corporal John Lingo – Corporal Lingo stepped into the line of fire and took down a gunman who shot four people in a magistrate’s office.
- George O’Donnell - Runs Friends to Friends, an organization bringing kids with and without disabilities together through sports and mentoring.