Friday, June 30, 2017

Pittsburgh Radio: KDKA's Mike Pintek Reveals Cancer Fight


KDKA 1020 AM midday talk show host Mike Pintek announced on his show Thursday (June 29) that he has been diagnosed with inoperable pancreatic cancer, reports CBSLocal.

“What I’m about to do is not easy. In fact, it’s probably one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do,” Pintek said in an emotional statement, he made to his listeners.

“In early May, I was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer,” he said. “The stats are not great, but that’s the hand I was dealt and it is not operable. They thought it was going to be operable at first, but it is not operable…at this time.”

Pintek said the cancer has spread to his liver and possibly to other areas of his body. While the cancer is not operable now, the doctors hope that chemotherapy will shrink the tumor enough to make it operable.

He has not been given a timeline and said he’s not going to focus on that. “My focus is on trying to go through the therapies, to take the medicines, to follow the advice of what I consider to be the best doctors in the world at UPMC Hillman.”

Pintek has been undergoing chemotherapy treatments at UPMC Hillman Cancer Center and is part of a clinical trial for an experimental drug that he says has shown a lot of success and a lot of promise for other people.


“I have my good days and I have my bad days and for the most part, I think I have pretty good days,” he continued.

Pintek has been a talk show host on KDKA for two stints, from 1982-2005, and returning again in 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment