According to The Boston Globe, the network said Remy plans to be in the broadcast booth this season.
“I’ve been diagnosed with cancer again but it’s under control” Remy said on Twitter Monday.
“Our thoughts and prayers, of course, are with Jerry,” said Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski. “Hopefully he’ll be back with us soon. We’re all concerned about him. I know the fans love him.”
Remy, 64, was first diagnosed in 2008 and underwent surgery that November to remove a cancerous area from his lung. A smoker since his teen years, Remy endured complications during his recovery, including an infection and a prolonged bout with pneumonia.
He still didn’t feel right when the 2009 Red Sox season began, leading to a leave of absence on April 30 of that year that kept him out until mid-August. He revealed upon his return that he had been battling depression.
In April 2013, Remy announced that he’d suffered a relapse that offseason when cancer was found in a different spot on his lungs during his regular six-month CT scan that January.
He did not miss time during the ’13 season while recovering from that surgery. But that August, Remy took an immediate leave of absence when his son, Jared, was charged with the murder of his girlfriend, Jennifer Martel. Jared Remy pled guilty in August 2014 and was sentenced to life in prison without parole.
Jerry Remy, who spent 10 years as a second baseman in the major leagues, including seven with the Red Sox (1978-84), has remained a popular broadcaster. He has called more than 3,900 Red Sox games since 1988.
In January, the network announced that he’d signed a multiyear contract extension, with the expectation that he would work 115 games.