Monday, June 13, 2016

R.I.P.: VA Radio HoFer Steve 'Mr. Beach' Leonard

Steve Leonard
Richmond VA broadcasting Hall of Fame inductee and longtime Richmond disc jockey Ronald S. Waters, known on Richmond radio as Steve “Mr. Beach” Leonard, passed away over the weekend.

His body was found in his South Richmond home Saturday night. Co-workers at WFLO 95.7 FM in Farmville got concerned when Leonard did not show up for his Saturday night shift.

“He had some health issues that last few years,” Leonard’s younger brother Gregg Waters said, without going into specifics. “He comes from a long line of bad hearts.”

While Waters speculated his older brother suffered a heart attack, the body was taken to the Medical Examiner’s Office in Richmond for autopsy. The investigation is needed since Leonard was alone when he died, his brother said.

A Huguenot High School graduate, Leonard attended radio college in Atlanta before he landed his first radio job in 1974.

From his first job in North Carolina, Leonard hosted radio shows in Tappahannock, WHAP in Hopewell and before working at several stations in Richmond.

2 comments:

  1. my name is Marc Haley. I was a fellow Richmond VA DJ and performed many events with "Beach". we also enjoyed many drinks together at "The Forest'I Googled him last night just to see what he was up to, only to find out he passed. I loved "Beach" like a brother. My friend. My drinking buddy. I'm having one for you now, my friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. my name is Marc Haley. I was a fellow Richmond VA DJ and performed many events with "Beach". we also enjoyed many drinks together at "The Forest'I Googled him last night just to see what he was up to, only to find out he passed. I loved "Beach" like a brother. My friend. My drinking buddy. I'm having one for you now, my friend

    ReplyDelete