Tuesday, March 18, 2014

NYC Radio: Mike Francesa Talks Retirement

Mike Francesa
Sports Talker Mike Francesa talked with Newsday media writer Neil Best on a number of topics including former partner Chris Russo, turning 60, the 'falling aseleep viral video.

He also talked about retirement when his contract expires in 2018:

"If you ask me today, I think it will be the last one, but I think I said that once before. You say that but you play tricks on yourself, too. You can't see yourself doing it 10 more years or five more years, but when the years go by so fast you say, 'Wait a minute!'

"I've always lived by that credo that if you find something you like in life you're blessed, and if you can make a living at it you're doubly blessed. I try to stress that to my kids: Find something that you're really passionate about and love and then try to see if you can figure out a way to make that what you do in life.

"If you can do that, you never have a job. I've never dreaded going to work. I can't imagine dreading going to your job."

On the changing nature of the job:

"The job has changed so dramatically, and it's changed because, let's be honest, anybody listening to this show, especially young people, they have as much information at their fingertips as I have.

"The drum is beating 24 hours a day . . . It's there every minute. It's a dialogue that never stops. It's like a conveyor belt of information and opinion that just keeps rolling along. It's like a drum beat that never goes away.

"It's analysis. It's opinion. It's personality. It's delivery. It's all those things you have to bring to the program."

Read More Now

No comments:

Post a Comment