Monday, October 11, 2021

Detroit Radio: Roxanne Steele Terminated At Country WDRQ-FM

Roxanne Steele
WDRQ 93.1 FM morning co-host Roxanne Steels has EXITED her position due to the vaccination mandate at the country station.

Steele posted the news on her Facebook page "It breaks my heart that this is even happening. My company Cumulus put a vaccine mandate in place. Either get vaccinated or be terminated. I am not vaccinated so I’ve been terminated. Friday October, 8th was my last day on New Country 93.1."

Steele also wrote "I’m objective to the mandate of being told what I should do or not do or else. It’s very un-American. People should be able to choose to take this shot based on their specific medical and health needs, not for fear of losing their job or education or being looked at as an outcast. In a society that teaches us to be kind, and don’t be a bully, don’t discriminate, etc., when did we lose sight of that? I’m proud that I’m standing by what’s best for me. And what’s best for me may not be best for you and that’s ok."

She added "Radio is a very cut throat industry and it’s too risky for me to just “get the shot” for the sake of keeping my job that would quickly fire me. My gut feeling has been telling me that day was near anyway but for different reasons."

Steele concluded with a thank you to her radio listeners, friends and radio peers who continue to support her. "I am forever grateful for your friendship."

Previously, she was midday host on Audacy's WYCD-FM in Detroit. Steele was also on-air for 12 years with CBS Radio Chicago, as afternoon host on WBBM-FM (B96) and later, as afternoon host on sister WCFS-FM (Fresh 105.9).


No comments:

Post a Comment