Saturday, March 7, 2020

R.I.P.: Bill Feingold, Palm Springs CA Radio Host

KNWS K-News 94.3 FM radio personality Bill Feingold, known to his fans as "Bulldog," died early Friday.

He was 70-years-of-age, according to The Desert Sun.

Feingold was diagnosed in August with stage four liver cancer that spread to his colon, lungs and bones. In August, he announced on his Facebook page that he had begun chemotherapy.

"A light went out in the desert last night and it will never be as bright again," actress Suzanne Somers wrote in an email to The Desert Sun. "We will miss you dear Bill Feingold and I know you already have another gig on a radio station and your guest list has improved dramatically."

Feingold moved to Palm Springs from Los Angeles in 2000. In addition to his on-air gig, the radio host served on the Palm Springs Human Rights Committee from 2005 to 2009, including as chairman for two years. In 2004, Feingold started hosting his own radio show with Kevin Holmes.

During an interview with The Desert Sun in September, Feingold, a former stockbroker, explained that he moved to the desert to "do nothing," but became politically active and was later convinced to go on the airwaves after a guest appearance on K-News' "Marshall and Stone" show.

"(Marshall and Stone) would always make fun of me, but in a nice way," Feingold said. "I was a guest on their radio show and I liked being on the radio. I never thought in a million years I'd be doing it. I hate my voice, and I thought, 'Who would want to hear me?' It's been a blessing."

Feingold's radio show was popular with local listeners, and he befriended many local celebrities such as Somers and actor Gavin MacLeod.

Although he wouldn't discuss national politics on his show, Feingold didn't shy away from local politics. Any candidate that ran for office was welcome on the program, and Feingold said that people knew where he stood politically without having to tell them. He didn't pull any punches discussing his own town.

Growing up in Long Island, Feingold was a fan of talk radio. He said he regretted not getting into it sooner, thinking it would be a tough career path in New York.

"I always listened to talk radio," Feingold said. "Talk radio was one person hosting the show and interviewing them. Not screaming at them, not yelling at them, not calling them names, and I never realized until I got into talk radio that I should have done it a lot earlier."

No comments:

Post a Comment