Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Report: Donnie Simpson Should Be WHUR’s Next Big Voice

Simpson (WaPo Photo)
Donnie Simpson is nothing short of a D.C. radio legend, writes Clinton Yates at The Washington Post.

The longtime radio and television personality is one of the few characters in media who is almost universally adored, without having ever had to beat any controversies — almost unheard of in a business with as much turnover as broadcasting.

So it comes as welcome news that Simpson posted a message on his Facebook page Tuesday morning,  indicating his desire to get back on the air.  
“I’ve been out for 3 1/2 years now and that time off has rekindled a creative fire in me,” Simpson wrote on his confirmed Facebook page. “I’m ready. I’ve got some things I want to say and some things I want to play. I look forward to hooking up with you again. I miss you.” Referring to his wife he added:  “Plus Pam wants me out of the house.”

Simpson says he has chosen Ed Pearson, owner of talent and program development company Esome Media Group, to help him find the right opportunity. “I consulted with my management team, looked at the landscape and after careful deliberation, decided Ed [Pearson] was the right person to partner with,” the Web site quotes Simpson as saying.   “He knows radio and he’s a friend.  I’m confident that Ed will deliver something really kool.”

Yates writes:  “Questionable spelling aside, one station that could use Simpson’s familiar tones is right here in D.C. For the past few months, WHUR has been running its ‘Washington’s Next Big Voice‘ promotion, which has featured different DJ’s rotating through the station’s 3-7 p.m. slot, after Michael Baisden’s syndicated show was removed. According to another media site, UrbanRadioNation.com, the move hasn’t been super popular with listeners.”

No comments:

Post a Comment