Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Appleton WI Radio: Len Nelson Fired At WAPL-FM


“The Rick & Len Show” era at WAPL 105.7 FM has come to an end.

The Green Bay Press-Gazette reports Woodward Radio Group fired morning show co-host Len Nelson on Monday, following a two-week suspension for comments he made on his Facebook page after the death of Rush Limbaugh.

“After careful consideration of all contributing factors, including violations of our employment policies, WAPL and Woodward Radio Group have decided to end morning show host Len Nelson’s employment,” a statement on the classic rock station’s Facebook page reads. “We are planning for the next chapter of the WAPL morning show with Rick McNeal, and we will keep our loyal listeners and advertisers informed as we make those decisions."

The announcement has generated more than 1,300 comments.

Nelson, who has been a staple on mornings with McNeal from 1985 to 1999 and again from 2003 to 2021, also shared the news on his own Facebook page. He wrote, in part:

“You should know that I’m not looking for a pity party here nor do I want this to be a forum for hating on the station. There are still good people whom I love there and they don’t deserve it. But I would like to thank the thousands of you who expressed support for me during this ordeal. It means so much to me. To those of you who expressed your hatred of me and have celebrated my troubles, yeah, I heard you, too. 

“I don’t know where I’ll go from here nor what twist my career will take or if I’ll be forced to change it. I’ve never been fired from a job in the 40-plus years I’ve been employed so it’ll be something new which I’ll have to navigate. I know it won’t be easy but, while I am deeply crushed at the moment, I will survive.”

After Limbaugh’s death on Feb. 17, Nelson shared his views about the conservative broadcaster’s legacy on his personal Facebook page. The post was later deleted, but a listener took a screenshot and called on others to report it to the station.

WAPL released a statement on its website Feb. 18 that said Nelson’s personal views were not reflective of the core values of the station or Woodward Radio Group and that the matter was being addressed swiftly.

Nelson posted an apology on Facebook in which he said he had been suspended and it was possible he may be fired, but he hoped to work with management to find a resolution that would allow him to continue working for the company.

No comments:

Post a Comment