Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Pittsburgh Radio: Pete Rose Apologizes For Radio Comments

Pete Rose
It’s not often Pete Rose says he’s sorry, but baseball’s all-time hit king has done so in the wake of his candid comments regarding his banishment from baseball.

During a radio interview with John Phillips of KDKA-FM 93.7The Fan in Pittsburgh, Rose was asked if he felt a 2nd chance would come his way and his reinstatement to the game of baseball could happen.

According to the station website, Rose told Phillips 
“I made mistakes. I can’t whine about it. I’m the one that messed up and I’m paying the consequences. However, if I am given a second chance, I won’t need a third chance. And to be honest with you, I picked the wrong vice. I should have picked alcohol. I should have picked drugs or I should have picked up beating up my wife or girlfriend because if you do those three, you get a second chance. They haven’t given too many gamblers a second chances in the world of baseball.”
 Since airing those comments, Rose has come under fire for the ‘beating up my wife or girlfriend’ part of what he said.

In a rare Mea culpa, Rose has issued a statement apologizing.

From Pete Rose: 
“If I’ve learned anything over the past 24 years since my banishment from baseball, it’s to own up to my failures right away. I was feeling sorry for myself when I compared my vice to others, including abuse and drinking. Of course, all vices are not to be excused. I know gambling almost destroyed baseball and I have accepted the way Commissioners Giamatti, Vincent and Selig acted toward me.”
Rose has been serving a lifetime ban since 1989 for gambling on the Reds.

No comments:

Post a Comment