Monday, December 2, 2013

SF Radio: Ronn Owens Reflects On His Career

Ronn Owens KGO
KGO radio talk show host Ronn Owens has been the "voice of reason" for 38 years and still loves his job. and recently talked with Julian Gurthrie from sfgate.com.

He has interviewed presidents and prime ministers, athletes and musicians, community leaders and comedians. He feels he's grown up with his listeners and can't imagine doing anything else.

Q: What's the enduring appeal of radio?

A: I started here in 1975 when I was single and loved the city. I got engaged, got married, got a condo, got a house, had two kids. The people who were listening to me were doing the same things. I'm totally connected to the Bay Area. There are callers who I can instantly tell you who they are. It's a family. There's an intimacy to radio that you don't get with TV.

Q: You interviewed Barack Obama when he was first campaigning for president. What was that like?

A: He was in the studio. No one thought he was going to make it. At the end of the show, I said something like, "OK, you get to be president, and I want the first radio interview from the Oval Office." Obama says, "Does it have to be in the Oval Office?" I said no, and we went back and forth negotiating the amount of time. He agreed. He gets in office and never gives me the interview.

Read More Now

No comments:

Post a Comment