Friday, June 28, 2013

Plattsburgh, NY Radio: Personality Ducky Drake Retires

Ducky Drake
After 45 years in the radio business, the versatile Drake is hanging up his microphone. Today is his last day at WIRY 1340 radio station.

“I don’t think I will miss the day-to-day stuff, but I will miss the people,” he told the Press-Reublican during a break this week. “The people I work with and the people I see on a daily basis.”

Drake, 64, came to Plattsburgh in 1971 by accident.

The native of Barre, Vt., was on his way back home from an interview at a radio station in Auburn, near Syracuse, when he got lost in downtown Plattsburgh on the way to the ferry.

He noticed WEAV radio station on Margaret Street and decided to stop in to ask for directions and to see what that station was all about.

“A week later, they had an opening, and I got the job,” he said.


He worked at WEAV as the morning disc jockey until 1983, when he joined WIRY, also in the morning slot, awakening at 3:30 a.m. Monday through Friday to report for work.

No comments:

Post a Comment