Monday, June 10, 2013

Cyndia Lauper’s ‘Kinky Boots' Dances To The Top

Cyndi Lauper
The feel-good musical "Kinky Boots," with songs by pop star and Broadway newcomer Cyndi Lauper, won six 2013 Tony Awards on Sunday, including best musical, best score and best leading man.

Christopher Durang's comical "Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike" won the best play Tony. "Matilda the Musical" won four awards and three other shows -- "Pippin," "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" and "The Nance" -- shared three awards each.

According to Fox News, Lauper, who wrote the hit "Girls Just Want to Have Fun," was part of an impressive group of women who took top honors. Diane Paulus and Pam MacKinnon both won for directing -- a rare time women have won directing Tonys for both a musical and a play in the same year. (It also happened most recently at the 1998 Tonys.)


"Kinky Boots" also won for choreography and two technical awards, and Billy Porter won for leading man in a musical.

Porter beat "Kinky Boots" co-star Stark Sands and told him from the stage: "You are my rock, my sword, my shield. Your grace gives me presence. I share this award with you. I'm gonna keep it at my house! But I share it with you."

Read More Now.

WINNER'S LIST: Click Here.

No comments:

Post a Comment