Saturday, October 5, 2024

Fox News Host Martha MacCallum Honored With Patriot Award

Fox News Channel Host Martha MacCallum

Thursday night, FOX News’ Martha MacCallum was honored by the Congressional Medal of Honor Society as its recipient of the John R. “Tex” McCray Award for Excellence in Journalism during “The Patriot Awards Gala” in San Antonio. Emceed by actor and humanitarian Gary Sinise, The Patriot Awards Gala honors individuals who, through their life’s work, promote and perpetuate the principles upon which the USA is founded and encourage the six core values of courage, commitment, integrity, sacrifice, citizenship and patriotism.

MacCallum is the anchor and executive editor of The Story with Martha MacCallum and joined FOX News Channel (FNC) in January 2004. 

She authored the New York Times bestseller, Unknown Valor: A Story of Family, Courage, and Sacrifice from Pearl Harbor to Iwo Jima. Her interest in military veterans’ stories stems from her cousin, Harry Gray, a Marine who died during the Battle of Iwo Jima in 1945. 

Throughout her career, she has supported veteran issues, including interviewing Jon Stewart about the harm caused by toxic burn pits. MacCallum encourages viewers to explore their ancestry to understand the sacrifices of veterans. On June 6, she interviewed World War II veterans and U.S. Senators in a broadcast from the Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial, during a ceremony commemorating the 80th anniversary of D-Day. The “Tex” McCrary Award honors journalists who have distinguished themselves through unbiased coverage of the United States military.



MacCallum. Steve Melnikoff (104!)
In accepting the award, MacCallum said, “Thank you to all of you and thank you to Cpl. Carpenter, it’s so good to see him again, we spoke on my show in New York as he mentioned. Last night when I was getting ready to come here I went on YouTube and I pulled up this video of him and he’s so extraordinary, he was mountain biking and kayaking and hiking. I remember when I heard his story of which he became a medal of honor recipient and he’s just such a delightful man. I want to thank Gary Sinise as well, for all he has done to open the nation’s eyes and hearts to entertainment and veterans around the world. My thanks as well to Dan Pendrotty and the 2024 host committee who have been so welcoming to me on my first trip to San Antonio, it’s a wonderful city. So thank you to the Congressional Medal of Honor Society and these recipients. Our nation owes you our deepest gratitude for your courage and humanity and sacrifice that you all have dedicated. I am humbled to be in this room with you tonight and grateful for the time I got to spend with Gen. Pat Brady earlier today, who is an extraordinary man, so I thank him for his time earlier today.

It has been one of the highest honors of my life to get to know these heroes, these men and women of valor and to tell their story, and the opportunity I have been given at Fox. I’m grateful also to my CEO Suzanne Scott and Fox News president Jay Wallace for saying yes when I came to them with these stories and asked for these assignments and for committing the resources that it took towards the goal of never forgetting the men and women who have fought and given so much for our freedom.”

No comments:

Post a Comment