Saturday, April 20, 2024

R.I.P.: Howie Schwab, Longtime ESPN Producer, Trivia Show Personality


Howie Schwab, a longtime ESPN producer and trivia show star, died Saturday at age 63, according to a report on ESPN.com.

Schwab, who joined ESPN in 1987, hosted the network’s trivia show “Stump the Schwab,” which ran from 2004 to 2006 and was hosted by the late Stuart Scott, according to a Yahoo Sports report.

Schwab was the final challenge for contestants, who would try to beat him in sports trivia for prizes. Schwab posted a 64-16 record on the program, according to a New York Post report.

“I’m proud of that. Eighty percent is pretty darn good,” Schwab told The Athletic in 2020. “There were a couple of times when people were better. I’ll admit it. I had no problem with it. I remember one time I was disappointed because this guy was a cocky SOB who beat me and it bothered me a little. Bottom line is I’ve lived through so many things in sports and I’ve always been into sports, so (getting stumped) was fine.”

Schwab, from Baldwin, N.Y., was a 1982 graduate of St. John’s University, according to an AwfulAnnouncing post.

The report noted he worked as the coordinating producer for the network’s website in the mid-1990s and later served the same role on ESPN studio productions of SportsCenter and Outside the Lines

Schwab left ESPN in 2013 and later worked for Fox Sports and on “Sports Jeopardy!” according to the Yahoo Sports report.

No comments:

Post a Comment