Thursday, July 16, 2020

Chicago Radio: WBBM News Fires George Ofman

George Ofman
WBBM 780 AM 780 has layed-off Reporter and Sports voice George Ofman, The Chicago Tribune reports.

The 66-year-old Ofman was looking forward to the restart of the baseball and Blackhawks seasons after four months of working in a sports-free world.

Since I’ve been home working, I’ve never worked harder, never created more content, never connected with people I hadn’t talked to in years or new people and sources in interviews,” he said. “I’ve flourished for the last four months. That bothers me, that I was creating that stuff. That’s hard.”

Ofman started out as an independent reporter after graduating from Southern Illinois in Carbondale, filing reports for outlets such as NPR and CBC Radio. He has been a fixture in Chicago press boxes since radio legend Red Motlow hired him at WFYR-FM in 1987.


Ofman was one of the original reporters when all-sports WSCR-AM began in 1992, and he stayed there until 2009. Since then he has worked for the short-lived internet startup Webio, WGN-AM and WBBM, where he had been since 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment