Monday, October 5, 2015

R.I.P.: Radio Personality Big Tom Parker

Tom Parker
Veteran radio personality "Big Tom" Parked passed away Saturday evening.

He was 64-years-of-age.

Parker, whose real name was Richard Altree, was a part of the Portland, OR radio scene for five decades.  He last worked in radio at N/T KPAM 860 AM. Most recently he was working for the Oregon Partnersips/Lines for Life, where he was Director of Strategic Development and Communications.

In 1976,  Parker made the big move to San Francisco, hired at the legendary KFRC, which marked the first of his two tours of duty there. In May of 1979 he crossed the street to KYUU, where he worked until September of 1982. Then, after a two-year run at KIOI (K101), Parker returned to KFRC from February 1985 through March of 1986, when he returned home to Portland.

Parker then worked fro K-Lite (now K103), KOIN-TV, KMGI and KXL-AM & FM, where he served as FM Operations Manager from 1990-92. He went on to work at KKCW (K103), KKSN and more recently, at Pamplin Media News-Talk KPAM.



Parker's longtime friend Rob Sisco, President, North America of SoundOut said, "BTP was the consummate professional -- a sensational air talent and one of the nicest and most gentle people you'll ever meet. He was incredibly generous, working with dozens of charities and organizations lending his time and talent, and always with his trademark smile!"

7 comments:

  1. https://soundcloud.com/tom_sf/tom-parker-kfrc-march-14-1978

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonder why he left K101? I worked there in 86-88

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another Good One joins my Dad, once during a KFRC party that my father (Dr. Don Rose) threw for the entire KFRC staff in Round Hill Country Club where we lived in 1976. Big Tom Parker took the time to checkout my room that I had wired into a sound and lighting odesy. He Spent time talking to me about my little set up in my room and even got Phil Lerza to check it out. That let to the beginning of my career, and forever made me welcome in the engineering department when I would go to work with my father. Over the years he was always considered one of the family, He Loved my Dad and our Family, I can't believe he was only 63, way to young, God Bless BTP and his Family!

    Jay Rose, and the Rose Family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jay just wanted to say I really enjoy your dad got to meet him once while working at KBHK TV 44 when he did voice overs. Also DDR was part of the best string of radio station programing that will probably never be heard from again. I also enjoyed meeting you when you work at the KATD with Joe Buerry and Len Sharpiro at A's games. Big Tom Parker was a staple at the Big 610 may his soul rest in peace.

      Delete
    2. I loved listening to him as I waited to get into the SF market in 1985.

      Delete
  4. K101 PD and long time friend Mike Phillips exited K101 to replace KFRC PD Gerry Cagle, Walt Sabo was the KFRC RKO Radio Consultant at the time and also a long history working with Mike Phillips and Tom Parker, Walt Sabo had been the VP of NBC Radio Stations and was responsible for putting KYUU on the air hiring Mike Phillips as the PD and making a great offer to Big Tom Parker to cross the street and leave KFRC to join KYUU. Once Mike Phillips had moved into KFRC's 415 Bush Street, he brought his long time pals, Chuck Browning "The Chucker" and Big Tom Parker over from K101 to KFRC.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tom Was Loved By Many One of The Greatest Golden Voices along with a Huge Golden Heart.
    He will Never be forgotten ! ... Friend and Comedian Jay Mather

    ReplyDelete