Tuesday, April 21, 2015

D-C Radio: Laurie Cantillo Lands NASA Gig

Laurie Cantillo
Former WTOP 103.5 FM program director Laurie Cantillo has landed on her feet..or maybe that should be..in Space.

When she resigned last month, Cantillo said she "primed to embark on a new adventure." Turns out Cantillo, a self-proclaimed "space geek" is joining NASA as a contractor in the agency's Office Of Communications.

In a weekend Facebook post, Cantillo said, "I'm taking a giant leap to NASA. As a longtime space geek, I'm honored to join the Office of Communications at NASA as a contractor with ITI. Among my initial projects: the search for life on exoplanets, next week's Hubble 25th Anniversary, and New Horizons -- a Pluto fly-by in mid-July. Yes, I had to peel my son David off the ceiling!"

Cantillo said, "I've been a space and science geek most of my life. I have NASA-TV and the ISS (International Space Station) spotter on my phone, and my son and I are often up late at night to observe ISS passes, meteor showers and blood moons. It's a dream job because I'm applying decades of media experience to my passion. I'm very grateful to ITI and NASA's Office of Communications for this amazing opportunity."

Cantillo joined WTOP in late 2011 after a almost three year stint as Program Director at Cumulus' WABC NYC. Previously, she was PD at Oprah & Friends Radio, and PD of at KFYI and EXTRA Sports in Phoenix.

In late 2013, she took over from longtime WTOP programmer Jim Farley, who retired and is now a Florida-based consultant for the top-rated station.

No comments:

Post a Comment