Monday, March 30, 2015

OH Radio: WNCO's Ron Colman Hangs-up His Headphones

After 30 years of his familiar voice traveling across the airwaves of Richland County and beyond, Ron Colman is hanging up the headphones.

Mid-Ohio’s Country Music Station, WNCO 101.3 FM, has announced  the longtime morning show host would retire from his on-air duties after 30 years with the station.

Colman’s last day on air will be Friday, May 1, but he will continue partnering with the station as a community ambassador.

“I’m looking forward to one final month on the air, then I’m throwing my alarm clock out the window,” Colman told richlandcource.com. “You’ve allowed me into your homes and cars each morning, and it has been a privilege.”



"Colman in the Morning" first came to Mid-Ohio on August 1, 1984 after its namesake hosted radio shows in Pennsylvania, Kansas and Youngstown, Ohio. Each weekday morning since 1984 Colman has been waking up listeners to 101.3 WNCO.

“He’s not just a local legend,” said Keith Kennedy, iHeartMedia Senior Vice President of Programming. “His impact has been felt over the years by the entire country music community. Ron helped create many country stars by exposing their music to listeners on WNCO.”

WNCO 101.3 Fm (50 Kw) Red=Local
“I can’t thank Ron enough for the positive impact he has made in our community,” said 101.3 WNCO Market President Margie Tasseff. “Ron knew it was always about using the power of radio for the betterment of our town.”

Radio first came into Colman’s life as a boy growing up in Youngstown, Ohio.

“I was one of those kids that had a radio taped to the handlebars of his bike and the radio was on all the time,” he said. “I just loved it, and thought I’d like to do that someday. When I was 13 my mom and dad bought me a tape recorder and I started doing radio shows on tape.”

In 1994 Colman was inducted into the Country Western Music Association DJ Hall of Fame. More recently, he was inducted into the Ohio Radio and Television Broadcasters Hall of Fame in 2014.

Coman's wife, Jill, passed away in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment