Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Jared Max Hops Dial from WCBS-AM to WEPN

One of the best-known voices on New York morning news radio is sliding a few notches up the dial.

Jared Max, morning sports anchor on 880 AM WCBS since 1999, is jumping to 1050 AM WEPN (ESPN Radio), where he will do sports updates for the Mike & Mike morning team, host his own 5-6 a.m. show and be in line for special projects and possibly some television.

"I love WCBS-AM," Max told David Hinckley at nydailynews.com. "But the opportunities here are beyond anything I could have done there. I'm excited, I'm anxious, and I hope that after a few weeks I'll say, 'You know, this is a really fun job.' "

Max starts April 18 at 1050, where general manager Dave Roberts says the station is "thrilled" to have him. "The fact someone of Jared's talent and stature is coming here says a lot about our station and presents us with a great opportunity," he says.

Roberts says Max will further strengthen the "local presence" of 1050, which is part of the ESPN network and has been fighting an uphill battle against sports-talk rival WFAN (660 AM).

Max says the 5-6 a.m. show will be his first chance to stretch beyond the tight format of WCBS-AM. But he says listeners will recognize his style.

"I'll do the same things I've done at WCBS," he says. "Lots of interviews. Music and pop culture references that help tell the sports story. I'll take calls, but I don't want it to be just a sports-talk show. I think I can do things that a lot of the sports radio guys aren't that tuned in to."

Read more here.

No comments:

Post a Comment