Tuesday, December 26, 2023

San Diego Radio: John Kentera OUT At KWFN


 John Kentera, one of the iconic voices of San Diego Sports Talk Radio, has been silenced. After 30 years in the radio business, the last four at KWFN 97.3-FM The Fan where he worked the 10 a.m.-2 p.m. slot as host of “The John Kentera Show,” Kentera was told by management he was being let go.

The San Diego Union-Tribune reports his last day was Friday. Braden Surprenant, Kentera’s producer, is expected to be retained.

“I’m stunned. Extremely disappointed,” Kentera said. “This has been very hard on me as well as my family. This is a gut punch.”

Kentera said he was told management “wanted to make a change in midday ... go to a less caller-driven show.”  Audacy, which runs the station, has yet to announce Kentera’s replacement.

“I prepare like crazy, I think my show is good, well-received, so I was stunned when I was told I was being fired,” Kentera said.

Kentera, 65, who is known as “The Coach,” began his radio career in 1987 at the old Mighty 690. He worked for The Mighty 1090 from its start in 2003 to 2015.

Kentera has also worked as general manager of the San Diego Sockers and as a baseball agent before transitioning back into radio at 97.3-FM, hosting Padres pregame and postgame shows before getting his own midday show.


Kentera has worked as a color commentator on San Diego State football and basketball broadcasts, USD and UC San Diego basketball. For 25 years, he hosted a high school football show on Friday nights. “The high school show is what put me on the map, kind of launched my career,” Kentera said.

The Nielsen Ratings for 97.3-FM have been strong. The station is the top-rated sports format in San Diego, easily outdistancing San Diego Sports 760 and The Mightier 1090. Kentera had a 5.8 rating for men ages 25-54, No. 4 in that age group in his time slot.

Kentera says he has no plans to retire “I’m going to look for an opportunity in sports ... in or out of the radio business,” he said. “I’m not done yet.”

No comments:

Post a Comment