Monday, February 3, 2020

Rush Limbaugh Discloses He Has Lung Cancer


Talk-radio icon Rush Limbaugh said during his show Monday he is being treated for advanced lung cancer, adding that he could miss broadcasts as a result.

The Wall Street journal reports Limbaugh, a towering figure in conservative politics, said he had been considering how to deal with the diagnosis in recent weeks, and said he informed his staff Monday. He cited his relationship with God and connection with his audience as sources of strength.

Limbaugh, 69 years old, has in the past dealt with health issues while in the public eye. In 2003, he said he was dependent on prescription pain medication and was entering a rehab clinic to deal with the problem.

“This day has been one of the most difficult days in recent memory, for me, because I’ve known this moment was coming,” Limbaugh said. “I’m sure that you all know by now that I really don’t like talking about myself and I don’t like making things about me… one thing that I know, that has happened over the 31-plus years of this program is that there has been an incredible bond that had developed between all of you and me.”

Fox News reports Limbaugh then told his audience that his job has provided him with the “greatness satisfaction and happiness” of his life.

Limbaugh's remarks start at the 1:39:15 Time Mark:



"So, I have to tell you something today that I wish I didn’t have to tell you. It’s a struggle for me because I had to inform my staff earlier today,” he said. “I can’t help but feel that I’m letting everybody down. The upshot is that I have been diagnosed with advanced lung cancer.”

"I first realized something was wrong on my birthday weekend, January 12th.

"I wish I didn’t have to tell you this, and I thought about not telling anybody. I thought about trying to do this without anybody knowing, ’cause I don’t like making things about me. But there are going to be days that I’m not gonna be able to be here because I’m undergoing treatment or I’m reacting to treatment, and I know that that would inspire all kinds of curiosity with people wondering what’s going on.


Rich Bressler, President, COO and CFO of iHeartMedia issued a statement:
 "Rush Limbaugh shared with us the news that he has been diagnosed with lung cancer. Over his last 31 years on-air he has developed a deeply personal relationship with his listeners and he intends to remain on the air, being there with his audience. I know millions of people nationwide join me and all of iHeart in wishing him a full recovery. Rush is both a colleague and a dear friend, and I know he will handle the situation with courage and grace. Our thoughts are with him and his family and we are supporting them in every way."

No comments:

Post a Comment