Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Drummer Joey Kramer Sues Aerosmith

Joe Kramer
Original Aerosmith drummer Joey Kramer is suing his former band for shutting him out just days ahead of the group's scheduled performance at the Grammy Awards, reports USAToday.

Aerosmith will be honored Friday as the 2020 Person of the Year for MusiCares, the Recording Academy's charity for musicians in critical financial need, and will return to the Grammys stage Sunday in honor of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame band's 50th anniversary.

But Kramer claims the band – whose other founding members are Steven Tyler, Joe Perry, Tom Hamilton and Brad Whitford – won't let him participate.

"Being prohibited from playing with a band that I have given 50 years of my life to supporting, is beyond devastating," Kramer said in a statement. "To be removed from my rightful place on stage to celebrate our success – a success that acknowledges my own life’s work, is just plain wrong."

The drummer continued: "This is not about money. I am being deprived of the opportunity to be recognized along with my peers, for our collective, lifetime contributions to the music industry. Neither … (honor) can ever be repeated."

Kramer claims he was required to audition for his drumming job to prove he could play at "an appropriate level" after suffering "minor injuries" that forced him to miss several shows in the spring, according to the lawsuit.

"Other band members and their lawyers will likely … claim that I am unable to play the drums right now. Nothing could be further from the truth," Kramer said. "I did everything they asked – jumped through hoops and made both a recording of playing along solo to a recent live recording of the band – one I had never heard before, and that process was videotaped. But I did it, and I did it well."

No comments:

Post a Comment