Friday, July 5, 2019

Sick Bay: Yankees Broadcasters Michael Kay, John Sterling

Michael Kay
YES sportscaster Michael Kay will take a medical leave of absence after it was recommended he undergo surgery to correct an issue with his vocal cord, he announced Wednesday on Twitter.

John Sterling
Kay, who missed Wednesday night’s Yankees-Mets game, said he expects to be out for around a month, an absence that will also keep him away from his weekday WEPN ESPN 98.7 FM radio show.

“Those that follow me know that my jobs are the culmination of a child’s dream and I take this step with some fear but a strong belief in a doctor considered the best in his field,” Kay wrote on Twitter. “I love what I do and I appreciate all that enjoy what I do.

“Thank you all so much for listening and watching throughout the years and please know it’s tearing me up to have to step away in the middle of a season but it’s the only way I can get better and avoid further problems.”



Ryan Ruocco will likely fill in for Kay on the Yankee telecasts.

Kay has been a part of Yankees radio and television broadcasts since 1992. He’s the host of “CenterStage” on the YES Network and of “The Michael Kay Show” on ESPN Radio.

The news comes a day after The NY Post first reported longtime radio voice John Sterling’s three-decade streak of never having missed a game will end this weekend as Sterling takes some time off to focus on his health.

Until Thursday, his 81st birthday coincidentally, Sterling had worked 5,060 straight Yankees games since 1989, according to The NYTimes citing the Yankees.

In fact, he will miss the entire four-game series against the Tampa Bay Rays that will close out the first half of the season. Coupled with the upcoming All-Star break, that will give Sterling eight straight days to rest.

The reason for the time off: his health. In interviews this week, Sterling has said he feels a bit under the weather. But before Wednesday’s game against the Mets, Sterling insisted he wasn’t sick.

“I’m just run down,” he said. “There’s nothing wrong with me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment