Friday, April 12, 2019

R.I.P.: Andy Preston, W.Palm Beach Radio Personality


Longtime radio personality, Andy Preston has died one day after a single-vehicle crash in Lake Park, according to the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office.

According to WPTV-TV5, 63-year-old Andrew Roe Preston was in the parking lot of a cafe Tuesday night and as he placed the vehicle in drive his longtime partner, Amy Woods, 51, attempted to get in the front passenger seat, investigators said.

The car accelerated knocking Woods to the ground, sideswiped another vehicle, traveled through the parking lot and struck a tree, the sheriff's office said.

When the vehicle stopped, Preston opened the door and fell and struck his head, PBSO said. He died one day later in a hospital, according to a traffic report.

Woods sustained a minor injury to her knee.


Preston started at WKGR 98.7 The Gater almost 28 years ago ironically parting ways on Tuesday.

Former manager at iHeartMedia, Dave Denver says, "I had the great fortune of working with Andy Preston for 18 years. He was a natural born entertainer and story-teller. He lived life to full-capacity, planning every concert event, baseball game, festival trip or vacation that he could squeeze in and as often as he could. The greatest part of all of his personal journeys was the way he shared his experiences with his friends and The "Gater’s" audience. His passion was Rock & Roll and treasured every artist interview and was able to share a story with each of them as they talked, endearing Andy to the stars that made "The Greatest Rock & Roll Ever Made" I will remember him with the same level of stardom as the artists we play on the Gater."

Long-time friend Taylor Morgan says, "Andy gave me my start in radio in the West Palm Beach market in 1996 when I was hired as the evening jock at The "Gater", replacing him....who they moved to the afternoon drive slot. I made a lot of mistakes at the beginning and he never once made me feel that I had done something stupid. His patience and guidance and kindness and generous nature were unlike anything I have ever experienced with anyone else in the radio business in my 20+ year radio career. I will miss him calling me "Tay-Mor" (like J-Lo) whenever I see him. I am just numb."

No comments:

Post a Comment