Wednesday, December 5, 2012

‘Gas Man’ Leaving KJR-AM Seattle

One of the longest-tenured voices in Seattle sports radio is leaving his current role. Clear Channel’s KJR-AM announced Tuesday that Mike Gastineau will depart the station following his Thursday show.

Bob Condotta at seattletimes.com reports, Gastineau, known on-air as "the Gasman," has been at KJR for 21 years, and since September 1993 has worked in the afternoon drive show (3 p.m. to 7 p.m.) solo or with co-hosts such as Dave Grosby, or his current sidekick, Elise Woodward.



In a statement from the station Tuesday afternoon, Gastineau said he was leaving to explore other opportunities.
"Since 1991 I have hosted more than 5,000 shows on KJR and I've reached a point where I'd like to explore other creative options. KJR's management has been incredibly understanding and supportive of my decision," Gastineau said in the statement. "I'm proud to have been able to give Seattle fans a voice in these incredibly important debates. I always strived to do three things on the show — be funny, entertaining and give people a place for reasonable debate on sports issues of the day."
In a later tweet, Gastineau called it "my choice and a positive thing."

No comments:

Post a Comment