Thursday, November 8, 2012

MSNBC’s Chris Matthews Apologizes For Sandy Comment

MSNBC's Chris Matthews apologized on his Hardball show Wednesday (November 7th) for comments he'd made during election coverage the night before about Hurricane Sandy that had drawn criticism.

 While speaking Tuesday night about President Obama's victory, Matthews said he was glad Sandy happened, because it showed undecided voters Obama could come together to work with Republican leaders like New Jersey Governor Chris Christie.

He stated, "I'm so glad we had that storm last week," then tried to clarify, saying, "No, politically I should say. Not in terms of hurting people. The storm brought in possibilities for good politics."

As he opened Hardball yesterday, Matthews said in a lengthy, apparently heart-felt apology, "I said something terrible. I said something not just stupid but wrong."

He also stated, in part, "I was too deeply enmeshed in political thinking, deep in a world of numbers and issues and people and stakes and focused on who would win and who would lose. But I left out the number one job of anyone on air: To think about the lives, the real lives of people, their losses, their relatives and friends who died in this disaster, their dreams that have been hurt and even destroyed."

As he concluded, Matthews said, "I intend to take serious steps to show that I am sincere on this. Please believe me, I am determined to do what I can to help the people who have already been hurt enough, who are suffering and have suffered enough hardship without hearing stupid stuff from me."

No comments:

Post a Comment