Monday, December 4, 2023

R.I.P.: Myles Goodwyn, Former April Wine Singer

Myles Goodwyn (1948-2023)

Nova Scotia musician Myles Goodwyn, who stepped down earlier this year as the singer of April Wine, died Sunday. The 75-year-old's death was confirmed by his publicist, Eric Alper.

The cause of death is unclear, according to the CBC.

Goodwyn, who lived in the Halifax area, achieved many feats with April Wine, including selling more than 10 million albums worldwide and receiving 11 Juno nominations. April Wine was inducted into Canada's Walk of Fame earlier this year. Goodwyn was also inducted into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame.

He told CBC News earlier this year that the latter induction was his proudest achievement.

Goodwyn poses following his induction into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame during the East Coast Music Awards in Halifax on May 4, 2023. (Darren Calabrese/The Canadian Press)

"This one's for me, and songwriting is what I care for most of all…. I think, probably, I stayed in the business because of songwriting," he said. "I'm not the greatest singer, the greatest guitar player. I'm not the greatest songwriter either, but I took great pride in being able to write songs that were popular."

April Wine songs such as Tonite Is a Wonderful Time to Fall in Love, Roller and Just Between You and Me are an essential part of Canadiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment