Saturday, June 24, 2023

Famed Anchor Tom Brokaw Talks About Cancer Battle


Former NBC News anchor Tom Brokaw is opening up about living with cancer.

According to a preview of his "CBS Sunday Morning" interview, airing Sunday, the 83-year-old shared he's had "a bad experience" while battling multiple myeloma, a blood cancer.

"I've had a bad experience," Brokaw told longtime friend and "CBS Sunday Morning" host Jane Pauley of his illness. "I kept thinking bad things wouldn't happen to me. But as I grew older, I began to develop this condition. And what you try to do is control it as much as you can."

USAToday reports Brokaw was diagnosed in 2013 with the disease and continued working while he was being treated. He announced the cancer was in remission in 2014.

He announced his retirement from NBC after a 55-year career in January 2021.


"I've had to change my life in some way," he said. "I really had to give up my daily activity with NBC. You know, I had to walk away from them, as they were walking away from me. I just wasn't the same person. And so, for the first time in my life, I was kind of out there, you know, in a place I had never been in my life."

Brokaw holds the distinction of being the only person to helm all three of NBC News' signature shows: "Today," "NBC Nightly News" and "Meet the Press." His first book, "The Greatest Generation," was a huge success, coining a name for the generation of Americans who lived through the Great Depression and fought in World War II.

No comments:

Post a Comment