Thursday, September 20, 2018

Tallahassee Radio: Talker Greg Marr OUT At WVFT-FM

A social media firestorm erupted this week with news of the termination of conservative Tallahassee radio personality Greg Marr Jr.

The self-described "unpolished, average Joe"  who hosted a three-hour radio show called the "Voice of Freedom Today" weekdays on WVFT Real Talk 93.3, learned he was fired while at the doctor's office. His wife was served the legal papers at their home.

Greg Marr
On Monday afternoon, the station announced on Facebook its decision to "part ways" with Marr, who'd been employed by Magic Broadcasting II since May 2015. As negative comments piled up, the post was deleted.

It's not completely clear why Marr's three-year run at the station ended so abruptly. Station management and Marr declined to offer details on why his contract wasn't renewed.

“I can’t expand on that. I can’t explain why I was relieved without violating my non-disclosure agreement,” Marr told the Tallahassee Democrat. When asked if he saw this coming, Marr said, “I certainly felt like it was a possibility.”

“I have been an advocate for free-market capitalism," he added. "I worked at the pleasure of Magic Broadcasting II. If they or any other employer decides to terminate an at-will employee, I think they should be free to make whatever decision they feel is best for their company.”

In an email to the Democrat, Station Manager Jon Jopling said, "it is always difficult when an era comes to an end."

"Greg Marr is truly beloved by his fans, and I will look back on our time together with nothing but great memories," he said. "While we are sad to see the show come to an end, we are very excited about the upcoming future of Real Talk 93.3. Greg's contract was terminated per the contract terms."

2 comments:

  1. Conservative voices in Tallahassee just aren't tolerated, though they are certainly refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tish may be a nice guy and all but a very boring morning show host. I tuned out every Friday when he was on Greg Marr's show; I am now tuned out permanently. I tried it for a week but the show is as boring as his Friday show

    ReplyDelete