Monday, May 20, 2013

R.I.P.: The Door’s Co-Founder Ray Manzarek Dead At 74

Ray Manzarek
Ray Manzarek, founding member and keyboard player for the Doors, has passed away, according to the band’s official Facebook page. He was 74.

The San Francisco Chronicle is reporting publicist Heidi Robinson-Fitzgerald says in a news release that Manzarek died Monday at the RoMed Clinic in Rosenheim, Germany, surrounded by his family. He had been stricken by bile duct cancer.

“I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of my friend and bandmate Ray Manzarek today,” said Robby Krieger, the Doors’ guitarist and long-time collaborator. “I’m just glad to have been able to have played Doors songs with him for the last decade. Ray was a huge part of my life and I will always miss him.”

The Doors first came to San Francisco in January 1967 to open for the Young Rascals and Sopwith Camel at the Fillmore Auditorium. It was the same weekend that more than 25,000 hippies filled Golden Gate Park for the Human Be-In, and the Doors were there, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment