Friday, March 1, 2024

Jax Radio: Corporate Mandate Pushes Talker Mark Kaye Out The Door


Cox Media Group cancels “The Mark Kaye Show” based at its Jacksonville news/talk outlet WOKV-FM and syndicated to O&Os WDBO, Orlando; KRMG-AM/FM, Tulsa and WHIO-AM/FM, Dayton. 

The program aired in the 12:00 noon to 3:00 pm ET daypart and the stations are going to replace the show with “The Erick Erickson Show” based at CMG’s WSB-AM/WSBB-FM, Atlanta. The Erickson program is syndicated by Compass Media Networks. It appears that producer Hannah Guile is also exiting as a result of this move. 

In a memo to staffers obtained by Barrett News Media, Cox Media Group Jacksonville Vice President and Market Manager Jimmy Farrell said “Earlier today we let Mark Kaye know that we’re no longer continuing with The Mark Kaye Show. The show’s last airing was today. Moving forward, we’re excited to transition to The Erick Erickson Show weekdays from 12 – 3 PM.”

From his early days hosting “The Big Ape Morning Mess” on 95.1 WAPE in Jacksonville to his transition to the talk radio world, he had carved a niche for himself. His voice—a blend of wit, candor, and unapologetic takes—had rallied the Kayetriots, a tribe bound by conservative ideals.

The show began as a modest hour-long segment in 2017, but Mark’s influence grew. By January 2019, it expanded to two hours, and after the passing of Rush Limbaugh, Mark stepped into the coveted 12-3pm timeslot. His syndicated show reached other Cox Media Group stations, including 1290 WHIO/95.7 WHIO-FM in Dayton, 740 KRMG/102.3 KRMG-FM in Tulsa, 580/107.3 WDBO in Orlando, and late-nights on 750 WSB/95.5 WSBB in Atlanta. He even hosted a weekly show on Newsmax TV12.

27 comments:

  1. What a welcome relief from his extra obnoxious screams ……LOVIN’. IT! I couldn’t mute him fast enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say have to Rush, It was hard to listen to anybody. Our heart was breaking and we felt like we've never get the truth again. Between Mark k. And Tucker Carlson, I knew Rush would be pleased! Why did you take, Farrell, Mark off the air? Big mistake

      Delete
  2. Eric voice sounds like he swallowed a maga hat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like the sound of the new guy's voice either.I listen 45 minutes when I turned on the show to listen to marquee and I shut it off and never turn the station back on again

      Delete
  3. You will be missed in Dayton Ohio Mr Kaye. Loved your show and I hope to be able to find it on the radio soon. I like Eric Erickson as well as I enjoyed listening to him in the evening. It’s funny how the left find ways of silencing the truth. I’m actually surprised they used Mr Erickson as he tells it like it is too. Keep up the good fight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark Kaye was at least entertaining. His replacement used to put me to sleep at night, and now he puts me to sleep at nap time. Dumb, dumb, dumb move to take Kaye off the air in Dayton.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100% where should all tha Kayetriots go? Certainly NOT to Erik…. not even close!

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed listening to Mark Kaye. Very interesting and informative while entertaining! Sorry they took him off the air. I don't care for Erick Erickson.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I miss Mark and Hannah. I listened to their show on my afternoon walk every day. I have already replaced WOKV on my presets. One less listener.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erickson,,,, is boring as can be.. they need mark back

    ReplyDelete
  8. My afternoon drive home is boring now. Loved listening to Mark Kaye. What a mistake to take him and Hannah off the radio.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I miss Mark and Hannah. Erickson is from my hometown. I can’t stand him. He is not a Trump supporter. He is so arrogant. I truly hope Mark lands in his feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree with your assessment! CMG is a villain against their audience!

      Delete
  10. Please bring back mark Eric is boring

    ReplyDelete
  11. While no one was going to fill Rush's shoes this show went in a completely different direction and perhaps that was not a bad idea to give it a try. I think the introduction to the show with a voice over guy complaining about Caye sets the tone for a morning zoo type of show that you probably don't want in an afternoon political show. I have no doubt Mark is a nice guy and I suspect he came from a morning type background where there was a lot of back and forth with the producer. To be blunt the majority of a political talk radio audience doesn't want to hear banter between the host and the support staff on a regular basis. Talk radio should involve the host, the callers and occasionally a guest. I hope this helps clarify for his future endeavors. I wish him well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The real reason Cox Media fired Mark Kaye was because he was a Trump supporter! I loved Mark and Hannah, but now have deleted 104.5 from my favorites. Shame on Cox, any idiot would know the photo was just AI saying look out Dems the good black people are waking up and tired of being used for votes and then forgotten!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved the Mark Kaye Show. Hate The Eric Erikson show. Erickson is a Rhino.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't like the eric Erikson show go back to Mark Kay

    ReplyDelete
  15. Miss the Mark Kaye show

    ReplyDelete
  16. Miss the Mark Kaye show

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bring back Mark Kaye. Erik is BORING.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Best way to voice your opinion is to move the dial. Dropped 104.5 after trying to listen to Eric... boring.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Change the station! Mark Kaye was great at what he does…entertain the listener!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mark's show was so entertaining and I miss it. Erik is boring. Cox media must not care about their audience opinions

    ReplyDelete