Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Buffalo Radio: WBEN's David Bellavai Awarded Medal of Honor

President Trump and David Bellavai
President Donald Trump has awarded the nation's highest military honor to Iraq veteran and WBEN 930 AM Buffalo talk show host David Bellavai, who cleared an insurgent strongpoint and allowed members of his platoon to move to safety.

The president presented the Medal of Honor to Bellavia in an emotional ceremony at the White House Tuesday. 

Bellavia was leading a squad in support of Operation Phantom Fury in Fallujah in November 2004. The White House says that after Bellavia helped his platoon escape fire, he entered a house and killed at least four insurgents who were firing rocket-propelled grenades. 

Bellavia, who left the Army in 2005, has been awarded the Silver Star, the Bronze Star and the New York State Conspicuous Service Cross. 

He is the first living Iraq veteran to receive the Medal of Honor.


"I want to say how overwhelming this experience has been," said Bellavia after the ceremony. "I served with some of the greatest men I've ever met in my entire life." He says the entire night of Fallujah is impossible to think about without remembering those lost in that firefight.

Bellavia says he's proud to be an Iraq War veteran. "This entire thing is something I can't comprehend, but I want to thank my army for giving me purpose and meaning and direction," says Bellavia.

Bellavia co-hosts PM Drive on Entercom's N/T WBEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment