Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Twin Cities Radio: Fans Help Tony Fly Land Gig

Tony Fly
After 20-plus years in the Twin Cities media market, radio/TV personality Tony Fly has won over plenty of fans. The longtime radio DJ at KDWB 101.3 FM  and, most recently, KTWN 96.3 FM K-TWIN, recently felt that love in a major way, as his supporters flooded the social media feeds of new throwback hip-hop/R&B station WGVX 105.3 FM The Vibe.

The #HireTony campaign proved successful. Vibe, which was launched in August by Cumulus Media (93X, KQRS), hired Fly this week, with plans to have him helm the drive-time slot (4-7 p.m.) every Friday beginning  December 4. Up until now, the station has relied on a roster of nationally syndicated DJs to yack between spins of Ginuwine's "Pony" and Nelly's "Country Grammar."

WGVX 105.1 FM (2.6 Kw) Red=Local Coverage
So how'd the Vibe 105 gig come about?

Tony Fly told City Pages, "I reached out to the folks at Cumulus to let them know that I’d be interested in working with them. I mentioned to my friends on social media that I contacted the owners of this new radio station, and they just kind of decided to help by flooding 105 The Vibe’s Facebook page with comments about me, and what a perfect fit I would be for the classic hip-hop format. I am so grateful to those friends, because I’m sure the sheer volume of comments was a big factor in how fast this deal came together."

No comments:

Post a Comment