When blind tenor Bocelli announced he would not sing at this Friday's celebration, it was widely reported it was because fans had said they would boycott his concerts and records.
But a source said the 58-year-old had been determined to 'press ahead' and sing but had pulled out on the advice of his security team after receiving threats to his life.
She pulled out after disgruntled fans - including many from the LGBT community, where she has developed a loyal following - took to Twitter to denounce her slated participation.
Country star Toby Keith responded to critics of his decision to perform at Trump's inauguration. In a statement to Entertainment Weekly, the 55-year-old country singer defended his choice: 'I don't apologize for performing for our country or military.'
Toby also said continued: 'I performed at events for previous presidents [George W.] Bush and [Barack] Obama and over 200 shows in Iraq and Afghanistan for the USO.'