Friday, November 16, 2012

KROQ's Bean Gets ‘Emotional’ Over Kidney Donation

LOS ANGELES - After a successful kidney donation to 106.7 KROQ’s Scott Mason Tuesday, Gene ‘Bean’ Baxter  made it through recovery with flying colors. And, despite some pain, he phoned into the morning show to thank KROQ listeners for their support and to let everyone know he’s aiming to be back in time for the Miss Double D-cember pageant, according to a posting on the KROQ website.

“It has not been the greatest week ever, in terms of weeks where I have not lost an organ,” says Bean followed by chuckles from Kevin and comedian Brad Williams, who was sitting in for Ralph Garman.

“I will tell you that I am alive and feeling pretty good and they’re actually going to let me out of the hospital today so I feel like we’re right on schedule.”

What many may not know is that Bean and Scott granted exclusive access to CBS TV cameras to following their journey; from preparation to surgery. And, according to Bean, we’ll have to chance to see the footage on the CBS Early Show. This is fascinating to Bean who will watch the removal of his own kidney. While Kevin and Funny Brad were disgusted at the thought of seeing the operation, Lisa May surprised the room with her elation. “I totally want to see that!” No word yet on when the tape will air. We’ll let you know as soon as we hear from CBS producers.

At one point during the call Bean started to laugh, and it was clear that the chuckling was painful.

“Today is the first day that I went on email and the messages from the Kevin & Bean listeners have just been so heartwarming. I know that there are a lot of people who’ve been following this and were really pulling for me and I really appreciate it. I’m probably not going to have the strength to write back to everybody but I can’t thank everybody enough for thinking of me.”


Bean turned the focus to Scott; the reason he was in the hospital in the first place, the recipient of his kidney. Bean went down the hallway to visit Scott, joking “I went down to check on my other kidney.”

“We know how poorly he’s looked in recent years. It’s unbelievable. The transformation… he looks 10 years younger, smiling, laughing, happy… You guys always make fun of me for being a robot not a unicorn, but I teared up when I saw him. It was emotional to see how great he looked.”

Bean hopes he can make it to full recover in time for the crowning of Miss Double D-cember live at the Slidebar Rock ‘n Roll Kitchen, Friday, November 30th. Showing his love for the special time of year Bean confessed, “You know I’ll do pretty much anything for boobs.”

No comments:

Post a Comment