Friday, January 14, 2011

Talker Pulls No Punches In Wake of Shootings

Patriot-News photo
Harrisburg, PA conservative talk radio host Bob Durgin hasn’t pulled his on-air punches in the wake of Saturday’s shootings in Arizona, lambasting liberals for using the tragic event to slander conservatives like Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck, according to a posting at pennlive.com.
   
“God, I hate the liberal media,” Durgin said Monday during his highly rated afternoon show on 580 AM WHP. “It’s like, if you don’t follow Obama and believe in Obama’s policies, then you are a potential terrorist.”
   
In talking about The New York Times, often seen as queen of the left by conservatives, Durgin added, “Somebody ought to burn that paper down. Just go to New York and blow that sucker right out of the water.”
   
Durgin now concedes that last remark may have been a bridge too far in an overheated environment.
   
“I don’t regret saying it, but I know I probably shouldn’t have,” he said this week during a telephone interview. “That’s just me. When I go on the air I announce my true feelings. What they hear is who I am.”
In truth, Durgin’s tirade may have just been a little ahead of the political curve in the wake of the Tucson attack, which left six people dead and Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords fighting for her life.
   
America’s rancorous political dialogue already shows signs of returning to the status quo, a non-stop barrage of accusation and counter-accusation carried out on television, radio and online.
   
“Everything travels with the speed of light now,” said G. Terry Madonna, director of the Center for Politics and Public Affairs at Franklin and Marshall College. “We are constantly bombarded.”

Read more here.

No comments:

Post a Comment