Billy Joel had a shunt implanted in his brain to treat normal pressure hydrocephalus and told fans he is improving and “not going anywhere.”
The 76-year-old singer announced the surgery on SiriusXM’s The Billy Joel Channel, saying doctors recommended the procedure after his May 2025 diagnosis. He initially rejected the idea, then researched it and went ahead.
“It actually improved things,” Joel said. “My memory got better. My balance got a little better. My ability to function was better.”
Joel canceled all scheduled concerts for a year after the diagnosis so he could recover. He said the high volume of live shows had been like repeated concussions and was damaging his brain.
“I know people have heard, ‘Oh, he’s got a brain disorder.’ And I’m OK,” he said. “I just want people to know: Don’t worry about me. I’m not going anywhere. I’m here. I’m still here.”
Normal pressure hydrocephalus occurs when cerebrospinal fluid builds up in the skull and presses on the brain.
Joel returned to the stage in January 2026 for the first time since the diagnosis, performing two songs with a cover band in Palm Beach, Florida. In March, his daughter Alexa Ray said he was “doing great.”